Artist/Maker: Menchaca Studio (since 2010)
Object/Materials and Techniques: Fiberglass Sculpture decorated with Fine Crystals Beads / Bronze Tusks with a 14 Karat Gold Bath
Date: Created in 2019
Dimensions: H. 27.5 cm. x W. 32 cm. x L. 67 cm. / Weight 15 Kg.
Art style: Sculpture / Huichol Art / Modern Folk Art
Elaboration time: 9 months
Current Location: Artist’s collection in Mexico City
Curator’s note: ‘Transcend yourself into the soulful Huichol world of Menchaca Studio.’
Since ancient times, Hippopotamus (hippo), an extremely mighty animal both on land and in the water, holds powerful symbolic representation. Hippo stands for being grounded and prompted by wisdom all through periods of calmness and abundance. Its ‘resting state’ is one of complete attentiveness and alertness since it observes its environment and reacts only when is warranted or necessary. Its immense scale and wild nature, in accordance with the timeless link with fertility, all contribute to its potent symbolism.
As a genuine artwork of the ancient Huichol tribe, Hippopotamus of Menchaca Studio, emerges from within, like a marvel to behold in the wild, achieving a strong bond between the reality and the divine. The sacred animal massive sculpture in intense action, despite its medium size, so dominant in shape along through its vibrant colourful beads and intricate details, contracts the cultural traditions that interweave with the ancient symbology of the millenary Huichol art.
Conceived and handcrafted in collaboration with a selected group of artisans of Menchaca Studio, members of the pre-conquest community of native Huichol Indians of Mexico’s remote Sierra Madre Occidental region whose culture has survived through thousands of years, the present artwork acts as an homage to the artistry and distinctiveness of their hand-craftmanship. It powerfully incorporates their immortal cultural beliefs and profound knowledge of nature, history and cosmology, by means of a process in which it communicates with the ‘spiritual world’.
Capitalizing on the traditional technique of Huichol Art that draws upon both the bead by bead embedding, and the powerful symbolism of artistry and imagery, the authentic Huichol fine crystal Hippopotamus sculpture of Menchaca Studio, effortlessly reveals a whole new impressive world of modern folk classiness.
Ancient art practices & modern aesthetics ➞ all in one of a kind bespoke piece of art.
Discover on |’n Art| platform the Art and Culture of Mexico through the handmade authentic works of Mechaca Studio, broadly acknowledged for their strong impact to the viewer, as masterfully delivered by Huichol people.
- Most of these Indian Art Pieces are exclusive and one-of-a-kind, made once in a lifetime, so if you desire to acquire this one, do not hesitate to do it!
- Each piece of Menchaca Studio on |’n Art| gallery online platform is totally unique, and your item may differ slightly from the item pictured.
- Custom orders may be placed.
- With strong commitment, since its inception, towards encouraging and promoting Social Contribution & Cultural Elevation Initiatives, around the globe, |’n Art| chooses with deep awareness and consideration to collaborate with such artists as the renowned Mechaca Studio that contributes greatly to cultural preservation. In this case, |’n Art| aims to provide a constant source of income to artisans in order to promote economic development in different Mexican regions.
- Making a purchase on |’n Art| platform, you are directly supporting a group or a family of Mexican artisans that struggle to maintain alive the millenary Mexican heritage.
- All Menchaca Studio creations are delivered with a certificate of authenticity.
➞ You are kindly invited to become an integral part of this special art display and valuable interaction.