Artist/Maker: Menchaca Studio (since 2010)
Object/Materials and Techniques: Fiberglass Sculpture decorated with Fine Crystals Beads
Date: Created in 2019
Dimensions: H. 25 cm. x W. 23 cm. x L. 49 cm. / Weight 3 Kg.
Art style: Sculpture / Huichol Art / Mexican Art / Modern Folk Art
Elaboration time: 3 months
Current Location: Artist’s collection in Mexico City
Curator’s note: ‘Follow the Whale Shark and immerse yourself into the soulful Huichol world of Menchaca Studio.’
Praised for the opulent blend of the ancient Mexican spirit with the contemporary vision, Menchaca Studio consciously chooses to put in the spotlight the Whale Shark, the largest living fish. Each Huichol sculpture featuring this docile creature is unique, as correspondingly each real whale shark has a unique pattern of stripes and spots. Mexico is one of two places among coastal countries where the highest numbers of Whale Sharks are to be seen, with Oceana -the largest international advocacy organization focused solely on ocean conservation- fighting to protect them.
Often called the ‘gentle giants’, these gigantic yet harmless ocean habitats, epitomize authority and superiority, holding powerful symbolic meaning across many tribes and cultures. Whale Sharks are primarily considered as symbol of perception, self-defence and knowledge. Their remarkable size, along with their friendly behaviour towards humans, all contribute to their potent symbolism in bringing positiveness to life, and emotional support to their carrier making him expand to his full potential.
Respectively, thoughtfully designed, the small, yet impressive Whale Shark figure by Menchaca Studio carries such a compensating sense of sacred character and stamina. It punctuates the artful spirit of Mexican people occupying a space between worlds, between the living and the spiritual, revealing itself in strides while synchronously stressing the importance on the urgency of the conservation of world’s marine life.
In the same way to the entirety of Menchaca Studio’s total output, so too the fiberglass Whake Shark statuette is conceived and handcrafted in collaboration with a special selected group of artisans, members of the pre-conquest community of native Huichol Indians of Mexico’s remote Sierra Madre Occidental region whose culture has survived through thousands of years.
Capitalizing on the traditional technique of Huichol Art that draws upon both, the carefully bead by bead embedding by hand, and the powerful motifs of imagery, the authentic Huichol Whale Shark statuette poignantly and beautifully exemplifies traditional beadwork. It combines fine crystals with intricate pattern details to form an attractive mosaic that interweaves with the ancient symbology of the millennium Huichol art, and its shamanistic traditions.
Thus, as a genuine artwork of the Mexican millenary Huichol tribe, Whale Shark emerges from within, achieving a strong bond between the reality and the divine. By means of a process in which it communicates with the ‘spiritual world’ of Huicholes, it powerfully incorporates their immortal culture, belief and profound knowledge with regards to nature, history, religion and cosmology.
Despite its small size, the Whale Shark figurine, so dominant in shape and deceptively astounding in form, looks like a marvel to behold in the marine world. The elegant outlines of the corpus highlight its graceful silhouette, give the impression of potential movement, while reflecting the emotional and intellectual traits in its action.
Distinctive with a modernist take, Whale Shark by Menchaca Studio succeeds in contracting timeless cultural traditions, while effortlessly revealing a whole new remarkable world of modern folk classiness.
Ancient art practices & modern aesthetics ➞ all in one-of-a-kind unparalleled piece of art.
Discover on |’n Art| platform the Art and Culture of Mexico through the handmade authentic works of Mechaca Studio, broadly acknowledged for their strong impact to the viewer, as masterfully delivered by Huichol people.
Place now into your space a statement Whale Shark sculpture from Menchaca Studio collection to remind you of your authority and strength against any difficulty or harmful person.
- Most of these Indian Art Pieces are exclusive and one-of-a-kind, made once in a lifetime, so if you desire to acquire this one, do not hesitate to do it!
- Each piece of Menchaca Studio on |’n Art| gallery online platform is totally unique, and your item may differ slightly from the item pictured.
- Custom orders may be placed
- With strong commitment, since its inception, towards encouraging and promoting Social Contribution & Cultural Elevation Initiatives, around the globe, it is with deep respect and honour that |’n Art| collaborates with such groups of artists, as the renowned Mechaca Studio, that, inter alia, contributes greatly to cultural preservation. In this case, |’n Art| aims to provide a constant source of income to artisans in order to promote economic development in different Mexican regions and encourage the survival of this ancient sacred culture.
- Making a purchase on |’n Art| platform, you are directly supporting a community, a group or a family of Mexican artisans that struggle to maintain alive the millenary Mexican heritage.
- All Menchaca Studio creations are delivered with a certificate of authenticity.
➞ You are kindly invited to become an integral part of this special art display and valuable interaction.