Artist/Maker: MENCHACA STUDIO (since 2010)
Object/Materials and Techniques: Fiberglass Sculpture decorated with Fine Crystals Beads / Bronze Flipper and Tale with a 14 karat Gold Bath
Date: Created in 2019
Dimensions: H. 77.5 cm. x W. 21 cm. x L. 41 cm. / Weight 6 kg.
Art style: Sculpture / Huichol Art / Modern Folk Art
Elaboration time: 2 years
Current Location: Artist’s collection in Mexico City
Curator’s note: ‘Dive like a Dolphin into the Huichol mystic world of Menchaca Studio.’
An explosion of colour and bright motifs, full of sacred symbols. ➞ The Dolphin sculpture from Menchaca Studio’s Huichol collection sets the elegance standard putting in the spotlight the graceful mammal which, since ancient times, holds powerful symbolic representation.
The sailors, after spending months at sea, used to perceive the sight of dolphins swimming next to their ship as a sign that land was close. Since then, dolphins are considered as a good luck symbol, saviours and protectors of the waters. They epitomize divinity, and are seen as a link, a delicate balance between human and nature. All contribute to their potent symbolism, nearly equal to an excellent omen, across many cultures, warranting protection, renewal and reincarnation.
Respectively, thoughtfully designed, the small, yet impressive Dolphin figure by Menchaca Studio carries such a compensating sense of sacred character and physical beauty. It punctuates the artful spirit of Mexican people occupying a space between worlds, between the living and the ancestral, revealing itself in strides.
In the same way to the entirety of Menchaca Studio’s total output, so too the fiberglass Dolphin sculpture is conceived and handcrafted in collaboration with a special selected group of artisans, members of the pre-conquest community of native Huichol Indians of Mexico’s remote Sierra Madre Occidental region whose culture has survived through thousands of years.
Capitalizing on the traditional technique of Huichol Art that draws upon both, the carefully bead by bead embedding by hand, and the powerful motifs of imagery, the authentic Huichol Dolphin statuette poignantly and beautifully exemplifies traditional beadwork. It combines fine crystals with intricate pattern details to form an attractive mosaic that interweaves with the ancient symbology of the millennium Huichol art, and its shamanistic traditions, while synchronously exemplifying the mammal’s qualities as for happiness, playfulness, willpower, humor, virtue, mental, power, courtesy, wholeness and team work.
Thus, as a genuine artwork of the Mexican millenary Huichol tribe, Dolphin emerges from within, achieving a strong bond between the reality and the divine. By means of a process in which it communicates with the ‘spiritual world’ of Huicholes, it powerfully incorporates their immortal culture, belief and profound knowledge with regards to nature, history, religion and cosmology.
Despite its small size, the Dolphin figurine, so dominant in shape and deceptively astounding in form, looks like a marvel to behold in the aquatic world. The elegant outlines of the corpus, along with a bronze flipper and tale of 14 karat gold bath, highlight its graceful silhouette, give the impression of potential movement, while reflecting the emotional and intellectual traits in its action.
Distinctive with a modernist take, Dolphin by Menchaca Studio succeeds in contracting timeless cultural traditions, while effortlessly revealing a whole new remarkable world of modern folk classiness.
Ancient art practices & modern aesthetics ➞ all in one-of-a-kind unparalleled piece of art.
Discover on |’n Art| platform the Art and Culture of Mexico through the handmade authentic works of Menchaca Studio, broadly acknowledged for their strong impact to the viewer, as masterfully delivered by Huichol people.
Place now into your space the fine crystal statement Dolphin statue, invoke its vibrations, and find yourself having life-changing opportunities blessed with bravery and strength.
- Most of these Indian Art Pieces are exclusive and one-of-a-kind, made once in a lifetime, so if you desire to acquire this one, do not hesitate to do it!
- Each piece of Menchaca Studio on |’n Art| gallery online platform is totally unique, and your item may differ slightly from the item pictured.
- Custom orders may be placed.
- With strong commitment, since its inception, towards encouraging and promoting Social Contribution & Cultural Elevation Initiatives, around the globe, it is with deep respect and honour that |’n Art| collaborates with such groups of artists, as the renowned Mechaca Studio, that, inter alia, contributes greatly to cultural preservation. In this case, |’n Art| aims to provide a constant source of income to artisans in order to promote economic development in different Mexican regions and encourage the survival of this ancient sacred culture.
- Making a purchase on |’n Art| platform, you are directly supporting a community, a group or a family of Mexican artisans that struggle to maintain alive the millenary Mexican heritage.
- All Menchaca Studio creations are delivered with a certificate of authenticity.
➞ You are kindly invited to become an integral part of this special art display and valuable interaction.