Artist/Maker: Vasilios Roumeliotis (b. 1977) / Roumelight
Object/Materials and Techniques: Polyester Mannequin / Glass / Acrylic Glass / Metal Chain / Grid Oak / Vinyl
Date: Created in 2011
Dimensions: H. 90 cm. x D. 30 cm. x W. 40 cm.
Colours: Black Shiny Silver / Silver Gray
Art style: Light art / Luminism / Lighting sculpture / Industrial design
Current Location: Artist’s collection, Mykonos
Curator’s note: The Femme Saturn sculpture table lamp of the Roumelight lighting collection celebrates femininity through an amalgamation of the Saturn planet and a female body.
The implication of a woman wearing a chain corset, standing with superiority, while her body tattoos consist of inspiring texts, provides an eccentric aspect to the luminous figure, and synchronously complements the sculpture’s materiality. The extensive use of written lines onto various parts of the female body, with reference to the Saturn planet, becomes one of the central artistic elements of the present work, and an intriguing add on to its fundamental lighting character.
Alike the Saturn planet being surrounded by three planar concentric rings of ice particles, the hat on the upper part of the sculpture features more than one rings in order to give to the entire piece an overall air of planetary perspective.
The Femme Saturn luminous piece with its avant-garde magnetism and attraction has been proudly displayed at the Contemporary Space Athens, an exhibition space established in Greece by the Chicago Athenaeum, Museum of Architecture & Design in collaboration with the European Centre for Architecture, Art, Design and Urban Studies (exhibition Energy Athens, 2014).
- The mannequin is made of polyester and the base of beech.
- The clothing is fashioned from stainless steel and wire mesh while the chest and the head are made of glass.
- The layers of the planet Saturn are printed on polycarbonate glass.
- Separate lighting adjustment on the head and the chest is possible.
- All light spheres are dimmable.
- Both the head and the body can be lit separately.
- Technical support for assembling or setting the lighting work is recommended.
- Instructions by the artist may be provided.