Artist/Maker: MENCHACA STUDIO (since 2010)
Object/Materials and Techniques: Fiberglass Sculpture decorated with Fine Crystals Beads
Date: Created in 2019
Dimensions: H. 45 cm. x L. 50 cm. / Weight 30 kg.
Art style: Sculpture / Huichol Art / Modern Folk Art
Elaboration time: 9 months
Current Location: Artist’s collection in Mexico City
Curator’s note: ‘Transcend yourself into the soulful Huichol world of Menchaca Studio.’
Praised for the opulent blend of the ancient Mexican spirit with the contemporary vision, Menchaca Studio consciously chooses to put in the spotlight the powerful and striking gorilla, one of Mexico’s most enduring animal-symbols. The forceful creature is admired for playing a crucial role in biodiversity of the ecosystem upon maintaining, balancing and supporting animal and plant life. Gorillas used to rove, for instance, through large territories and contribute the most to the spread of the spores of the fruits they consume.
Respectively, the present Gorilla sculpture of Menchaca Studio collection carries a special sense of physical vigor. So dominant in shape, and deceptively astonishing in form, it looks like a marvel to behold in the wild. The graceful outlines of the animal’s corpus accurately display the dynamic stance of the great ape, plus give the impression of potential movement, while its appearance reflects the intensity in its conscientious action.
In the same way to the entirety of Menchaca Studio’s total output, so too the fiberglass Gorilla figure is conceived and handcrafted in collaboration with a special selected group of artisans, members of the pre-conquest community of native Huichol Indians of Mexico’s remote Sierra Madre Occidental region whose culture has survived through thousands of years.
As a genuine artwork of the Mexican Huichol tribe, Gorilla emerges from within, achieving a strong bond between the reality and the divine. By means of a process in which it communicates with the ‘spiritual world’ of Huicholes, powerfully incorporates their immortal culture, belief and profound knowledge with regards to nature, history and cosmology.
Capitalizing on the complexity of the traditional technique of Huichol Art that draws upon both, the painstakingly bead by bead embedding, and the colourful and meaningful motifs of imagery, the Gorilla sculptural piece acts as an homage to the distinctiveness of the artistry and hand-craftmanship of Huicholes. Through its vibrant colourful fine crystal beads and intricate pattern details that form an attractive mosaic, it interweaves with the ancient symbology of their millenary Huichol art, and allows powerful cultural elements of the past to thrive.
In this sense, the impressive Gorilla of Menchaca Studio, exhaling timeless allure and palpable symbolism, echoes the pre-conquest era evoked by the authentic Huichol animal figure. It succeeds in contracting synchronously both cultural traditions and a whole new impressive world of modern folk classiness. Distinctive within its modern interpretation, can turn any venue, where placed or exhibited, into a bold display.
Ancient art practices & modern aesthetics ➞ all in one-of-a-kind unparalleled piece of art.
Discover on |’n Art| platform the importance of this animal-symbol of Arts and Cultures of Mexico through the impressive handmade authentic work of Mechaca Studio, as masterfully delivered by Huichol people.
Be the one to experience this powerful feeling!
- Most of these Indian Art Pieces are exclusive and one-of-a-kind, made once in a lifetime, so if you desire to acquire this one, do not hesitate to do it!
- Each piece of Menchaca Studio on |’n Art| gallery online platform is totally unique, and your item may differ slightly from the item pictured.
- Custom orders may be placed.
- With strong commitment, since its inception, towards encouraging and promoting Social Contribution & Cultural Elevation Initiatives, around the globe, it is with deep respect and honour that |’n Art| collaborates with such groups of artists, as the renowned Mechaca Studio, that, inter alia, contributes greatly to cultural preservation. In this case, |’n Art| aims to provide a constant source of income to artisans in order to promote economic development in different Mexican regions and encourage the survival of this ancient sacred culture.
- Making a purchase on |’n Art| platform, you are directly supporting a community, a group or a family of Mexican artisans that struggle to maintain alive the millenary Mexican heritage.
- All Menchaca Studio creations are delivered with a certificate of authenticity.
➞ You are kindly invited to become an integral part of this special art display and valuable interaction.