Artist/Maker: MENCHACA STUDIO (since 2010)
Object/Materials and Techniques: Fiberglass Sculpture decorated with Colourful Threads attached with Endemic Wax / Bronze Tusks with a 14 karat Gold Bath.
Date: Created in 2019
Dimensions: H. 57 cm. x W. 53 cm. x L. 121 cm. / Weight 25 Kg.
Art style: Sculpture / Huichol Art / Modern Folk Art
Elaboration time: 1 year
Current Location: Artist’s collection in Mexico City
Curator’s note: ‘Transcend yourself into the soulful Huichol world of Menchaca Studio.’
Since ancient times, Hippopotamus (hippo), an extremely mighty animal both on land and in the water, holds powerful symbolic representation. Hippo stands for being grounded and prompted by wisdom all through periods of calmness and abundance of the natural world. Its ‘resting state’ is one of complete attentiveness and alertness since it observes its environment, and reacts only when is warranted or necessary. Its immense scale and wild nature, in accordance with its timeless link with fertility, all contribute to its potent symbolism.
In that respect, Hippopotamus from the Menchaca Studio collection, as a genuine artwork of the ancient Huichol tribe, via its consecrated character, emerges from within achieving a strong bond between the reality and the divine. The large animal sculpture in intense action, so dominant in shape and deceptively sensational in appearance, looks like a marvel to behold in the wild. Along through its vibrant colourful threads and intricate motif details, it contracts everlasting cultural traditions that interweave with the ancient symbology of the millenary Huichol art.
Conceived and handcrafted in collaboration with the selected group of artisans of Menchaca Studio, members of the pre-conquest community of native Huichol Indians of Mexico’s remote Sierra Madre Occidental region whose culture has survived through thousands of years, the present artwork mines a tradition of artistry and elaborate craftsmanship. By means of a process in which it communicates with their ‘spiritual world’, the piece powerfully embodies their immortal culture, passion, belief and profound knowledge with regards to nature, history and cosmology.
Capitalizing on the distinguishing technique of Huichol Art that draws upon both, the bead by bead embedding onto wax covering, and the powerful symbolism of pattern and imagery, the authentic Huichol fiberglass Hippopotamus sculpture of Menchaca Studio exerts a magical attraction. It combines a vibrant colour pallet to form a striking mosaic which captivates the observer at once.
Distinctive with a modernist take, the piece effortlessly reveals a whole new impressive world of modern folk classiness.
Ancient art practices & modern aesthetics ➞ all in one of a kind outstanding piece of art.
Discover on |’n Art| platform the Art and Culture of Mexico through the handmade authentic works of Mechaca Studio, broadly acknowledged for their strong impact to the viewer, as masterfully delivered by Huichol people.
- Most of these Indian Art Pieces are exclusive and one-of-a-kind, made once in a lifetime, so if you desire to acquire this one, do not hesitate to do it!
- Each piece of Menchaca Studio on |’n Art| gallery online platform is totally unique, and your item may differ slightly from the item pictured.
- Custom orders may be placed.
- With strong commitment, since its inception, towards encouraging and promoting Social Contribution & Cultural Elevation Initiatives, around the globe, |’n Art| chooses with deep awareness and consideration to collaborate with such groups of artists, as the renowned Mechaca Studio, that contributes greatly to cultural preservation. In this case, |’n Art| aims to provide a constant source of income to artisans in order to promote economic development in different Mexican regions.
- Making a purchase on |’n Art| platform, you are directly supporting a group or a family of Mexican artisans that struggle to maintain alive the millenary Mexican heritage.
- All Menchaca Studio creations are delivered with a certificate of authenticity.
➞ You are kindly invited to become an integral part of this special art display and valuable interaction.