Artist/Maker: Vasilios Roumeliotis (b. 1977) / Roumelight
Object/Materials and Techniques: Metal Alloy / Acrylic Glass
Date: Created in 2014
Dimensions: H. 90 cm. x D. 14 cm. x Diam. 63 cm.
Colours: Navy Blue Canvas / Bronze Gold Metal Parts
Art style: Light Art / Luminism / Lighting sculpture / Industrial Design
Current Location: Artist’s collection, Mykonos
Curator’s note: Mainly made from a recycled crooked bicycle wheel, the Gold n Blue Wheelight of Roumelight lighting collection, as reflects on a black glass canvas, showcases an eye-catching interplay between light and shadow.
An eco-friendly medium of both sports and transportation, the bicycle, is transformed into an alternative source of light, drawing, synchronously, attention upon crucial environmental and energy conservation matters of today.
Based on a circular structure, featuring a wheel of knitted radius, since it originates from a far more classic bicycle, larger than ordinary, this statement lighting piece of ecological character, fashioned mainly of recyclable materials, has been proudly exhibited at the window shop of the Benaki Museum in Athens.
Within its rotund rhythm of lighting and form, and its biodegradable nature, the Gold n Blue Wheelight sculpture certainly sets up a manifestation of superior industrial design that straddles inventively the line between art and functional illumination.
- The lighting colour of the lamps is warm white.
- The lighting emitted by the perimeter wreath is blue.
- Different lighting combinations (inner wreath, outer or both) are feasible, and there is a large variety of lighting colouration on the outside luminous wreath.
- The inner luminous wreath is dimmable.
- Regarding the background, in place of the plexiglass, a choice of coloured glass or glass with printing (of any subject) is obtainable.
- The wheel may be customized in different sizes and colours.
- The style of the wheel may vary (classic with braided spokes or radial without braided spokes).
- There is possibility of choosing a rectangle instead of a circular canvas, giving a totally different style to the overall Wheelight installation.
- Technical support for assembling or hanging the lighting work is recommended.
- Instructions by the artist may be provided.